Downtown Helena Marketing Services RFP
Marketing RFP now Open.
Accepting proposals until May 18th at 2:00 p.m. MST
The Helena Business Improvement District, located in Helena, MT seeks a professional experienced firm to work with the marketing committee, comprised of two members of the HBID Board of Trustees and DHI (Downtown Helena Inc.) Board of Directors, as well as the Executive Director of the HBID to develop and implement a strategic and sustainable marketing plan using the Distinctly Helena Uniquely Downtown brand. Development and implementation of a strategic plan will highlight our programs and services and attract, expand, and retain businesses, residents, and visitors to the downtown community. For more information, contact Micky Zurcher, Executive Director at [email protected] or 406.447.1535 or go to our website www. Proposals are due at 2:00 p.m. M.S.T. May 18, 2021.
Request for Proposal
Professional Marketing Services for
Distinctly Helena Uniquely Downtown
(a.k.a Helena Business Improvement District and Downtown Helena Inc.)
Continued Creation and Implementation of a Services Marketing Strategy
This document is a request for proposal from agencies and/or individuals with extensive experience in developing marketing strategies that capitalize on our Helena Business Improvement District and Downtown Helena Inc. programs and services which uniquely and positively impact the vibrancy of our downtown community.
Distinctly Helena Uniquely Downtown is the brand comprised of the Helena Business Improvement District (HBID) and Downtown Helena Inc. (DHI). We are located at 330 Jackson St. one block off the heart of our main street, Last Chance Gulch, which is at the base of Mount Helena. Our downtown district has a unique sense of place and historic identity that has a strong emotional bond with residents and visitors alike.
In 1986, the HBID was created to promote the health, safety, prosperity, security, and general welfare of the inhabitants of the district. Under Montana Code Annotated 7-12-11, the HBID functions to provide services which include maintenance and cleaning personnel for the protection and enjoyment of the general public using the business district, maintain landscape and beautification of public areas (not already covered by the City of Helena), provide for the management and administration of the affairs of the district, and promote business activity by advertising, decorating, marketing, promoting, and managing events and other actions designed for the general promotion of business activities in the district. The HBID is funded by property assessment within the HBID boundary signed by the owners of more than 60% of the area. The district duration is for a period of ten years. On January 13th, 2020, the City Commission passed a resolution to create a business improvement district for up to ten (10) years.
Under a Contract for Services, the HBID partners closely with Downtown Helena Inc. DHI is a 501(c)6 non-profit membership organization established in 1964 whose purpose is to encourage a spirit of cooperation, establish and develop cooperative retail sales promotions, special events, and other activities, and to foster favorable public relations for the Downtown Helena community, organizations, and agencies served in Downtown. DHI is funded through annual membership dues, sponsorships, and event income. One of DHI’s key programs is the Downtown Helena Nuggets program. This program initiated in the fall of 2020 and replaced the gift card program.
Together, both organizations market their programs and projects with a small staff assigned to execute these programs and projects. For more details visit: https://downtownhelena.com/.
Schedule of Events
|RFP Released||April 26, 2021|
|Proposal Due date||May 18, 2021|
|Evaluation Committee Meeting||May 20, 2021|
|Finalists Presentations (if necessary)||Week of May 24, 2021|
|Contract Awarded (negotiations)||Week of June 7, 2021|
|Intended Date for Contract Award||July 1, 2021 – June 30, 2022|
Scope of services
The HBID seeks a professional experienced firm to work with the marketing committee, comprised of two members of the HBID Board of Trustees and DHI Board of Directors, as well as the Executive Director of the HBID to develop and implement a strategic and sustainable marketing plan using the Distinctly Helena Uniquely Downtown brand. Development and implementation of a strategic plan will highlight our programs and services and attract, expand, and retain businesses, residents, and visitors to the downtown community.
- Research and understand the current marketing efforts and identify our strengths and weaknesses.
- Further develop our current comprehensive message/image/identity to represent the downtown through targeted messages using various marketing platforms.
- Develop a comprehensive profile of our current and potential markets.
- Craft creative branding messages for various multifaceted audiences (developers, businesses, residents, and visitors).
- Develop a strategic cohesive marketing plan to deliver the message(s).
- Create a budget and explore funding options for the integrated marketing plan.
- Develop and assist in implementation of a strategic and sustainable marketing plan.
- Develop an accountability plan for implementation and measuring success of the branding process.
- Periodically attend board meetings and/or committee meetings to present campaign information.
Programs and Services (this is not the inclusive list)
|Light pole banners||Downtown Nuggets|
|Holiday decorations||Alive at Five|
|Streetscapes clean of trash (23 pedestrian receptacles)||Art Walks|
|Infrastructure projects and upgrades||Parade of Lights|
|Summer hanging flower baskets||Membership incentives including monthly meetings|
|Annual façade grant program||Kids’ Fall Fest|
|Coordinator of Montana Main Street||Winter Carnival|
|Advocates and Ambassadors working with partners such as the City of Helena, downtown businesses, etc.…|
Four Written and One Electronic Proposal are requested.
All proposals must be submitted by 2:00 p.m. M.S.T. on May 18, 2021.
330 Jackson St.
Helena, MT 59601
Submissions to this RFP must include the following in the order listed:
- Corporate/Individual description, including basic contact information such as office address, phone, website, and email as well as the primary and secondary points of contact. Also include information on the size of the firm and the various capabilities you offer and biographical information on the principals and personnel who will be assigned to this account. Include any subcontractors. Please specify who is in your firm will be assigned to this project.
- Discuss current workload of your firm and ability to balance current workload as well as our project workload.
- Information on your approach to projects of this type, including a minimum of three examples of other similar projects you have undertaken and how you evaluated effectiveness.
- Specific involvement with other agencies you worked with in the past or are working with now.
- Address ability to gather and effectively utilize research to assist in developing and implementing the marketing plan.
Proposed Action Plan, Time Frame
- Each party should submit an outline of what the organization can expect as part of the proposal along with applicable timelines and a proposed action plan. Please keep in mind the HBID’s general expectation as outline above. The HBID works budget is from July 1 – June 30.
- Each party should submit expected project costs for deliverables/services outlined in this RFP along with a payment schedule and an explanation on how fees are established.
- A listing of services available and potential costs, if any, that are not included in the contract.
- Each party should provide three professional references for similar work that has been performed by your firm including the names, addresses, titles, email addresses and telephone numbers of the person most familiar with the work.
The marketing committee will review RFPs and invite finalists to give a formal presentation based on the information provided in the RFP. Once a firm is selected negotiations will begin with the preferred firm. The project is schedule to begin July 1, 2021.